Equine Vet Services
We offer a full suite of equine services delivered by highly experienced equine vets. Services include:
- Artificial Insemination
- Soft tissue surgery
- Clinical Pathology
- Colt castration
- Freeze branding
- Mare Scans
- Medicine and Surgery
- Microchipping & Identification
- Nutritional advice
- Preventative care/ Parasitic Control
- Semen collection
- Vaccination and Annual Health Check
Advanced Equine Dentistry
At South East Country Vets, our equine vets are highly experienced in the art of equine dentistry. Dr Bill Roughan has obtained a post graduate qualification in Advanced Equine Dentistry after working alongside Australia’s leading equine veterinary dentist, Oliver Liyou.
We provide expert advice and are able to troubleshoot any problems associated with your horses’ mouth. Using state of the art equipment, including powerfloat and mobile horse crush, we are able to provide a quality service for your horse.
Does your horse have problems with any of the following?
- Difficult collection
- Head tossing and/or chewing on the bit
- Dropping food
- Foul breath and/or nasal discharge
- Weight loss
If so then please call us, as it is more than likely related to a dental problem.
Frequency of dental visits does vary between horses, but as a rough guide, is as follows:
- Always have teeth done just BEFORE "breaking in" - the horse will accommodate the bit much more smoothly, and won't resist it and develop bad habits early, e.g. opening mouth, chewing bit, lugging etc.
- 2.5 - 5 years: every 6 months (as this is when the caps or deciduous teeth are shed)
- horses 5-10 years of age: every 9 months - especially if hand fed
- horses over 10 years: every 12 months (more frequently if a specific problem is being addressed e.g. wave mouth)
Check out our Equine Wellness Package specifically designed to ensure all your horses maintenance needs, incl dental float, vaccinations & worming, are taken care of in one easy visit!
Equine Artificial Insemination
Our vets have a proven track record of success with both frozen and chilled Artificial Insemination. We use a very specific veterinary protocol to ensure the highest probable chance your mare gets in foal.
Clients are able to bring their horses to the stable located at our Toogoolawah clinic, agist at our ‘Equine Breeding Centre’ property or have the vets come to them. Please contact the clinic for further details about breeding your mare.
Equine Breeding Centre
If you live more than 20km away from Toogoolawah, we recommend you take advantage of our Equine Breeding Centre. The Centre is located 5km from Toogoolawah and provides comfortable ¼ acre paddocks for the duration of the breeding program. This is usually about 4-5 days, depending on the mare.
We can collect your stallion, extend the semen and ship it to the majority of Australia within 24hrs.
31 Cairnscroft Street, Toogoolawah | 80 Hart Street, Blackbutt | 16 William Street, Crows Nest | © 2017 South East Country Vets